Tuesday 5 August 2014

Capturing The Castle Dress | Gather Patterns 'Mortmain'


A return to this ol' blog. I have been rather slack at photographing my efforts but this is my new dress, finished yesterday and worn today, hence the creases {as I am as impatient as they come}. 

It is a Gather 'Mortmain' and it was nice to try a new designer and pattern. I was rather swayed by the name {I love 'I Capture The Castle'}, but luckily I also like the dress!

I love this Anna Maria Horner fabric:



The pattern is pretty straightforward and simple and I quite like the hardier pattern paper they use. The exposed zip also makes it a bit different I think- but I don't see why you couldn't substitute.


I didn't make a toile- and I really need to start doing this. I think I will get onto that, to get the fit better as I had to take the skirt in and the bodice gaps quite a bit. I could probably move the darts to improve that- it's a nice summer dress so you would want it looser, but a better fit might be better.

I'll also own up to the fact that the pattern on the waistband is upside down. I was so determined to get the dress out of just under 2 metres (as that's how much of this I had!), that the waistband and facings were cut with some artfulness let's say- then I had no fabric at all left when I realised! But I'm going to maintain from here on that it's a contrasting waistband ;)

The Gather website is here....

No comments:

Post a Comment